Friday, March 12, 2010

Well, how did I get here?- Part 1

I'm a biological scientist who became an information scientist and information management leader. I earned my Ph.D. in Pharmacology at the University of Pennsylvania and worked as a molecular biologist for several years after that. I got to study cool things like Lyme Disease, amoebas, and scrapie, the sheep version of mad cow disease, before turning my attention from the lab bench to the computer screen.

At some point in my career I realized that the day-to-day frustration with generating scientific results worth publishing no longer fit with my personal needs and strengths. When I say "at some point", I mean "when my company ran out of money and couldn't pay me".

I spent several months identifying my interests and strengths and realized I loved and was good at finding and using information. Amazingly (actually, through hard work and perseverance), I found a job in my old home town doing exactly that- working in the Pharmaceutical industry as an Information Scientist. This gave me an opportunity to use my strengths and my scientific background to collaborate with other scientists and get them the information they needed to do their jobs better.

Next post- moving on up.

No comments:

Post a Comment